This object is a bow maker from Hindle’s Camera & Stationary Ltd. Hindle’s Camera & Stationary Ltd was a locally owned small Powell River business opened by Herb and Alma Hindle on June 4th, 1949, located on Marine Avenue. Herb and Alma had previously opened another business—Foodland—in 1945 (a pioneer food store on Marine Avenue). However, Hindle’s was a different type of business, and they made large and small decorative bows for weddings, celebrations, gifts, and resales. The company’s bow makers were made by a separate business known as 3M, and were used by Hindle’s for several decades.
Many years after Herb and Alma started the business, their son Doug Hindle became the new owner of Hindle’s Camera & Stationary Ltd. Doug worked in the store for 47 long years, and can still recall the early days of his parents ran the store. In 2020, Doug and his wife Anna decided to retire and sell the business. In the end, Hindle's operated for a total of 71 years!