Object ID: 2001.41.B
Surveyor's compass and "chain", dating from the early 1900's. The "chain" is a measuring device inside the round metal case with a leather strap and brass parts. Surveying equipment like this item, would of been used in early exploration and surveys of qathet.
The 1791-95 expedition of Captain George Vancouver (a British Officer in the Royal Navy), was one of the first European exploration of Pacific Coast. On June 26, 1791, he anchored off the shore of Hardwood Island and recorded his observations, which included the river at the mouth of Powell Lake. Spanish explorers were also in the area in the late 18th century, including José María Narváez.
The site of Powell River itself, was earmarked by the government as a site of interest for both its waterpower potential and as an ideal site for a pulp and paper mill, following an 1893 survey by Alfred Carmichael. In 1901, the BC Government took out a 21-year pulp lease in the region to encourage industrial development, which at the time had what appeared to be an unlimited supply of softwood lumber for paper --also a major draw. The area that was leased is part of the traditional territories of the Tla’amin Nation, who were relocated to the village of Sliammon (read more here).